Saturday, March 9, 2013

Chase Van, New Bike and the Importance of Thank Yous

In less than a month, the ride kicks off. There is so much that needs to be done. We are still working on getting a chase van that will follow me. And we still need many things that will go in the van--spare bike tire tubes, bike tools, racks and more. We also need to figure out how we're going to keep all of the iPhones, and laptops charged. But progress is being made on all fronts.

Yesterday, I got fitted for a bike that will arrive soon--a Specialized Roubaix. It will be awesome! The Paris-Roubaix cycle race is crazy because large segments are ridden over cobblestones. Plus it always seems to be raining and muddy for the Paris-Roubaix. The Specialized Roubaix bike is supposed to be "race-y" yet comfortable.

Two years ago, I knew next to nothing about cycling, and now I’ve logged at least 6,000 something miles. I now know the names and features of all the "classic" bikes. Save me! I tend to get obsessive about my hobbies.

On the Jacob’s Ride Facebook page we've been getting messages from people around the county thanking me for doing this ride. This was a shock at first because for this ride to even be possible I've been thanking a lot of people myself in the last 6 months—I’ve already written a couple hundred thank you notes to private donors.

It is so touching to be thanked! I’m know all the “thank you’s” I’ve received will give me some extra “fuel” after riding an 80 mile day in the desert. This entire experience has been so humbling, and I haven’t even started yet! Can't wait to help make a difference!

1 comment:

  1. I applaud you and your efforts to bring awareness to Cochlear Implants. We'll be cheering you on in the Bronx on April 12 and would love to join you on your ride in the New York area.

    ReplyDelete